Culture, science, religion, philology, art and history are only a few subjects Nietzsche is known for and most students studying any of these subjects, will be required to use his name and most, at some point, will have to remember some of the words he has spoken.
Nietzsche was a German classical scholar and critic who has become one of the most influential thinkers in modern times, but his writing mostly remained controversial and widely criticized whilst he was alive.
He began as an extraordinary professor at the University of Leipzig and throughout his life lived without a citizenship to a specific country.
Nietzsche strove to enlighten people on morality and is mainly known for his writing on good and evil, the collapse of religion and fundamental changes in society.
The true masterpiece of his career, ‘Thus Spake Zarathustra’ gained little influence during his life but has since become a considerably important work. Nietzsche writing is acclaimed as being full of personality and vitality and encounters difficult themes such as faith, philosophy and extreme ideologies.
Friedrich Nietzsche Quotes:
1. “Sometimes people don’t want to hear the truth because they don’t want their illusions destroyed.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
2. “There are no facts, only interpretations” – Friedrich Nietzsche
3. “The man of knowledge must be able not only to love his enemies but also to hate his friends.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
4. “We should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
5. “He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
6. “No one can construct for you the bridge upon which precisely you must cross the stream of life, no one but you yourself alone.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
7. “When we are tired, we are attacked by ideas we conquered long ago.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
8. “The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
9. “The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
10. “Every deep thinker is more afraid of being understood than of being misunderstood.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
11. “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings — always darker, emptier and simpler.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
12. “Faith: not wanting to know what the truth is.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
13. “The thought of suicide is a great consolation: by means of it one gets through many a dark night.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
14. “The higher we soar the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
15. “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
16. “A thinker sees his own actions as experiments and questions–as attempts to find out something. Success and failure are for him answers above all.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
17. “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster… for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
18. “There are no beautiful surfaces without a terrible depth.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
19. “Be careful, lest in casting out your demon you exorcise the best thing in you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
20. “There are two different types of people in the world, those who want to know, and those who want to believe.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
21. “You must be ready to burn yourself in your own flame; how could you rise anew if you have not first become ashes?” – Friedrich Nietzsche
22. “All I need is a sheet of paper and something to write with, and then I can turn the world upside down.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
23. “There is not enough love and goodness in the world to permit giving any of it away to imaginary beings.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
24. “What does your conscience say? — ‘You should become the person you are’.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
25. “The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
26. “Perhaps I know best why it is man alone who laughs; he alone suffers so deeply that he had to invent laughter.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
27. “It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
28. “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
29. “Today as always, men fall into two groups: slaves and free men. Whoever does not have two-thirds of his day for himself, is a slave, whatever he may be: a statesman, a businessman, an official, or a scholar” – Friedrich Nietzsche
30. “The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
31. “He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
32. “I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
33. “To predict the behavior of ordinary people in advance, you only have to assume that they will always try to escape a disagreeable situation with the smallest possible expenditure of intelligence.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
34. “No one can construct for you the bridge upon which precisely you must cross the stream of life, no one but you yourself alone.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
35. “I know of no better life purpose than to perish in attempting the great and the impossible.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
36. “There is more wisdom in your body than in your deepest philosophy.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
37. “Man is the cruelest animal.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
38. “There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
39. “Blessed are the forgetful, for they get the better even of their blunders.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
40. “The voice of beauty speaks softly; it creeps only into the most fully awakened souls.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
41. “Man is something that shall be overcome.Man is a rope,tied between beast and overman – a rope over an abyss.What is great in man is that he is a bridge and not an end” – Friedrich Nietzsche
42. “Nothing on earth consumes a man more quickly than the passion of resentment.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
43. “To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
44. “Madness is something rare in individuals — but in groups, parties, peoples, and ages, it is the rule.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
45. “There is an innocence in admiration: it occurs in one who has not yet realized that they might one day be admired.” – Friedrich Nietzsche
Thanks for seeing our collection of Friedrich Nietzsche quotes! If you want more people to see it, share it on social media using the buttons below.
Which are your favorite Friedrich Nietzsche quotes? Tell us in the comments.